Top Social

Beauty. Lifestyle. Motivation.

The Review: Is the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation Worth the Hype?

Tuesday, March 15, 2016




Foundation hunting is by far one of the hardest and the most frustrating shopping experiences I’ve ever endured. I’ve always had to take matters into my own hands and match myself based on YouTube personalities whose complexions are similar to mine since my experiences being matched at the mall has been well…disappointing. I was always matched to a foundation that either made me look orange or way too light for my skin tone. Over the past few years through trial and error, I noticed that I can achieve a more seamless complexion by using two foundations: one for the lighter areas in the center of my face and another for areas that are bit darker.

I saw a review of the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation on The Cut in February saying that it was the foundation of the year. It was written by one of my favorite beauty editors who I’ve been following for a while when she was a beauty blogger and have always trusted her judgement. So, that was already one check in my book. I went to Charlotte Tilbury's site and saw that one of my favorite YouTubers, Jenny Jenkins, was a model that Charlotte Tilbury tested the foundation on in a tutorial. Another check. With all of the information I gathered, I placed my order and received the package about two weeks ago. 

The foundation comes in 15 shades and retails at $44 (plus tax and shipping) at CharlotteTilbury.com. I ordered mine in 11 Dark. What drew me to the foundation was the integration of the skincare properties that was infused in the makeup. I'm a huge product junkie and love the ones that can do it all at once. The main ingredients it has is mushroom extract that tightens the skin giving it a firm finish, hyaluronic acid to plump up and hydrate the skin, vitamin c to fight free radicals and reduce dark spots and sunscreen to protect your skin from UV rays. 

I originally applied this foundation with a flat brush, but realized that a buffing brush was better since I wanted to achieve a more full coverage look. In addition, I use a sunscreen before applying the foundation that is SPF 30. I understand that the foundation already has sunscreen in it, but I usually don’t rely on the sun protection in foundations since the amount you put on your skin isn't enough to  give you the full protection your skin needs from the UV Rays. 


The foundation is definitely buildable, but wasn’t enough to cover my dark spots, so I had to use a concealer for a little bit more coverage. BUT, it's virtually weightless and felt as though I had on a fresh layer of skin, which is probably the reason why my dark spots didn't get completely covered up. It has a slightly watery consistency, which is different from the full coverage foundations I’ve used in the past, which tend to feel heavier. It gave my skin a seamless, dewy glow leaving me with an airbrushed finish. In terms of its' wearability, I've worn it for over eight hours and it stayed in place ever time with minimal touch ups. Of course, using a pressed powder after applying your makeup is ideal to prevent oiliness and to keep it in place. 

Post Comment
Post a Comment